Obesity: Complications And Ways To Deal With Them
- April 25,2022
- 2 Min Read
Obesity is a complex disease involving an excessive amount of body fat.
Obesity is not just limited to cosmetic concerns but it is a medical problem that increases your risk of other diseases and health problems, such as heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, and certain cancers.
India has more than 30 million obese people, and the number is increasing alarmingly.
The problem is more acute among women than men.
According to ICMR-INDIAB study 2015, overall prevalence rate of obesity in India
varies from 11.8% - 31.3%.
It varies due to age, gender, geographical environment, socio-economic status, etc.
Obesity is diagnosed when your body mass index (BMI) is 30 or higher.
Complications associated with obesity:
- Heart disease and strokes
- Type 2 diabetes
- Certain cancers
- Digestive problems
- Sleep apnea
- Severe COVID-19 symptoms
How to deal with obesity?
- Exercise regularly, you need to get 150 minutes to 300 minutes of moderate-intensity activity (fast walking, swimming) a week to prevent weight gain.
- Follow a healthy-eating plan by focusing on low-calorie, nutrient-dense foods, such as fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
- Monitor your weight regularly and be consistent in following your diet plans.
- Consult a doctor to rule out risk factors.
- Do regular health check-ups to keep a check on your health.
Check your BMI today!